Thursday, January 14, 2016

Apple Kheer ( Apple Pudding)



Happy Sankranti to all my readers.Today is Makarsankranti.This marks the beginging of spring in India. This is one of the few Hindu festivals that is celebrated on 14th January every year.Usually sweets made with till ( sesame seeds) like till laddoo ( balls) and till chikki ( brittle) are made and distributed to mark this occasion. I didn't have time to make this. But I wanted to make a quick dessert for my kids.



I decided to make apple kheer ( pudding).The reason I made this was because I wanted to make a very easy and relatively healthy dessert. I love kheer and can eat a bowlful. But I avoid gluten , therefore didn't want to use the regular flour Sheviyan ( vermicelli). It is also the season of apples, so we have apples in plentiful at home. I decided to grate some of the apples and use that instead of the vermicelli. I used a little condensed milk instead of sugar which also reduced my cooking time ( not that apples require much cooking, but thickening the milk gives the pudding a better taste). The end result was a delicious kheer that my kids & I loved. I don't think I would go back to making kheer using vermicelli ever again! I have also made this kheer without the usual cashew nuts and slivered almonds as my son is allergic to nuts. I have used pistachio powder to be garnished on top after serving ( not for my son).



Servings: 6-8 ( 1/2 cup per person)


Ingredients :


Apples: 2 medium sized( sweet variety)
Water: 1/2 cup
Milk: 7 oz ( room temperature).
Condensed milk: 7 oz ( 1/2 of 14 oz can)
Cardamom powder: from 2 pods of cardamom
Saffron threads: 2-3 ( optional)
Raisins:  1 tbsp
Ghee ( clarified butter): 1/4 tsp
Cashew halves: 1 tbsp ( for garnish, optional).
Pistachio powder: 1 tsp ( for garnish, optional).

Method:


Wash, peel and grate apples. 




Add it to a small pot with 1/2 cup water. Cook it for 10-15 minutes until tender. 




Add the condensed milk, saffron thread and mix well. 




Turn off the flame, keep aside.

In a skillet/pan, heat a little ghee on low heat. Add cashew halves and raisins. Sauté them for a few seconds until they start turning golden in color. Turn off the flame.

Add this to the pot with the apple and milk mixture.

Garnish with pistachio powder.




Can be served hot/warm or cold.

Enjoy! I am bringing this to some of my favorite blog parties: Throwback Thursday , Angie's Fiesta Friday and Saucy Saturdays! Two of my favorite blogger friends who post some of the best stuff on earth are co-hosting the Fiesta: Elaine @ foodbod and Julie @ Hostess at Heart!
A big shout out to both of them!

Cooking made easy:  

If you don't have condensed milk, use regular whole milk. You will however have to cook it for a longer period of time until the milk reduces to half the amount. Add sugar as per individual taste.

Tip for healthy living:


Substituting shredded apples for vermicelli not only makes the dessert gluten free, it also reduces the calories. Any fruit is counted as negative calories and therefore more of it can be eaten. Apples have several health benefits including essential vitamins and minerals and much needed dietary fiber.

Food for thought:


Everything that is done in the world is done with hope. Martin Luther


Please do share your thoughts. Your opinion matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment