Friday, December 25, 2015

Gluten-free Apple, Pear & Cranberry Crisp/Crumble; 100th Fiesta Friday Special!!



Today's post is dedicated to Angie Christina from The Novice Gardener who is also the host of this amazing blog party " Fiesta Friday"!! Today we are celebrating the 100th Fiesta Friday party! Fiesta Friday started small but has grown in leaps and bounds with the care and nurturing from Angie and all her wonderful co-hosts who help her week  after week. This post is dedicated to all the co-hosts as well who toil behind the scenes visiting each and every blog and bringing us wonderful features. Running a blog party so efficiently is no joke! Kudos to Angie, who I know works full-time and is a mother like me.When I joined Fiesta Friday, I was a novice, who knew nothing about blogging, who was trying her footing in the blogging world and learning. Fiesta Friday has been a great platform for me to meet some wonderful fellow bloggers and learn from them. Angie and her crew have constantly encouraged and supported me in my journey , even though at times I would be late at her party or wouldn't be able to stay and mingle for long.She has always corrected me in a humorous manner when I have made blunders and always come to my rescue. She is a very gracious hostess indeed! The co-hosts that she picks have all been like-minded people. A special mention of our dear friend Selma who is not here to celebrate this milestone with us in person but will always be amidst us in spirit! She was a staunch supporter of Fiesta Friday! I congratulate Angie on reaching this milestone today! Angie, you have every reason to be proud!! Yay!! 







I have brought you one of my favorite desserts ( newly found love!;)). I am sure you guys have noticed that in the title of this post, I have named this dish Apple-pear-cranberry crisp/crumble. This is because I am not sure which one it is. To begin with, I am confused as to the difference between crisp and crumble. I looked up online and found that the crumble has oats in the topping while the crisp does not. So what if you were to make the topping in the crumble using oats and oat flour? Does that now become a " crisp"?? Well, if any of you out there is knowledgeable regarding crisp/crumble, please feel free to shed some light on this matter.





Now, let us get back to the dish on hand. I am a "huge" dessert person, but gone are those when I could eat desserts without another thought! Now I pick and choose my desserts: they should be gluten-free, low in sugar and calories. Basically, healthy desserts. Are you thinking that then it is no longer a "dessert"?? Well, everything is relative isn't it? Each one to their own. I like fruit-based desserts. This particular one is especially good as it has a variety of fruits and very little butter in it. I call it a guilt-free dessert. It is also very easy to make! Totally my kind! I made it by combining Martha Stewart's recipe and the Fabulous Sisters' recipe. Do give it a try and let me know your thoughts. By the way, If you haven't been to the Fiesta, this is a great time to check it out! JudiMollieSteffi, and Suzanne, can hardly wait to welcome you!




Servings:4- 6 ( one 2 inch x 2 inch slice per person)


Ingredients:


Apples: 2 medium-sized, peeled, cored and diced.
Pears: 2 medium-sized, peeled, cored and diced.
Fresh cranberries: 1/2 cup
Lemon juice: 1 tbsp
Orange juice: 1 tbsp
Brown sugar: 2 tbsp
Cinnamon powder: 1/2 tsp
Nutmeg:  a pinch ( optional)
Salt: a pinch

For the topping:

Oat flour: 1/2 cup
Whole oats: 1/2  cup ( I used Quaker old fashioned oats)
Cinnamon powder: 1/2 tsp
Nutmeg: 1/8 tsp ( optional)
Brown sugar: 1/4 cup
Butter: 2 tbsp ( at room temperature)

Method:


Preheat the oven to 350 deg F.


Take the chopped apples, pears and washed cranberries in a bowl.


Add orange juice, lemon juice, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, salt, sugar and mix well.


Take a baking dish and spread this evenly in the dish. Keep aside.





In a separate bowl, take the oats, oat flour, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, brown sugar and butter. Mix it well using a fork.


Sprinkle this flour-oat mixture on top of the fruits.

Cover with a parchment paper and then foil sheet.

Place it on the center tray of the pre-heated oven.

Bake for 30 mins. After that, remove the parchment lined foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes.

Can be served hot or cold.




May be served with ice-cream if you are not calorie-conscious or for kids.




Enjoy!

Cooking made easy:


The above dish can made without cranberries. Choose apples that hold themselves upon cooking like Gala, Empire or Braeburn and pears that are firm.

Tip for healthy living:


Being mindful of the quality and quantity of desserts eaten can help control the total calorie intake per meal and therefore per day. Eat healthier desserts that are rich in nutrients than just sugar. Also eat desserts in very small portions. Be determined not to take second helpings.

Food for thought:

It is a good thing until you discover a better thing. Martha Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment