Monday, October 5, 2015

Moong bean sprout salad ; Meatless Monday




I love sprouts. I sprout moong beans, methi ( fenugreek)seeds, kala Chana( chick peas), chawli ( adsuki beans), kulith( horse gram). Often I add them in a salad with the sprout being the main ingredient. I have previously shared with you the recipe for methi ( fenugreek) sprout salad. Today, I am going to share with you the recipe for moong bean sprout salad that I made for dinner last night. Honestly, I enjoy these kinds of salads more than the ones that have greens. These salads are filling, rich in protein content and can even be used the next day for lunch without the salad wilting and becoming all soggy on you. It is also a complete meal with all the essential components of a balanced diet. Last but not the least, it is super-easy to make( I know this is my favorite phrase)! ;)





Servings : 4-6


Ingredients:


Moong- bean sprouts: 2 cups
Water: 1/2 cup ( for cooking the sprouts)
Corn kernels: 1 cup ( I used fresh kernels from a corn cob that I steamed).
Cucumber: 1 small, diced.
Onion: 1 small, chopped fine.
Red pepper: 1/2 small-sized, diced
Green pepper: 1/2 small-sized, diced
Spring onion: 2, chopped fine.
Pomegranate seeds: 2 tbsp ( optional)
Peanut halves: 2 tbsp ( optional)
Lemon juice: 2 tbsp
Lime juice: 2 tbsp
Salt: as per individual taste
Black pepper: 1/4 tsp ( can be adjusted as per individual taste.

Method:


Cook  the moong-beans sprouts in 1/2 cup water with a pinch of salt for 3- 5 mins. The moong beans should be cooked just so much that it is no longer raw. Cook it only until partially cooked. Do NOT overcook it! Once cooked, drain the water and keep aside.

If you prefer to eat raw sprouts, skip the above step completely!

In a salad bowl, add the drained sprouts and all the ingredients listed above. Mix well.



This salad can be served at room temperature or chilled!

Enjoy. I am linking this salad to Fiesta Friday #89. Mila@milkandbun & Kaila@GFlife247 are co-hosts this week. I am also bringing this to Throwback Thursday and Saucy Saturdays.

Cooking made easy:


I have said this is several times before when I have spoken about salads like chick-pea salad, quinoa black bean salad etc. Ingredients for a salad are not written in stone ( unless you are following a specific recipe).  I know for sure that the salads I rustle up are with ingredients that are available on hand and whatever catches my fancy. Out of the ingredient list provided above for this salad, you can add and subtract as per your preference and availability. USE WHAT IS AVAILABLE.

Tip for healthy living:


Sprouts are very nutrient-dense and therefore provide immense health benefits. They are low in calories, rich in dietary fiber, vitamins B, C and K. It also contributes to the daily dietary intake of iron. It is of course a good source of protein for vegetarians.

Food for thought:



Being willing makes you able. Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment