Friday, May 29, 2015

Vermicelli pilaf/pulao/upma




Did you know that my blog has crossed 200 posts!!! I only just realised!! It is amazing how quickly time goes when you are having fun. I am grateful to all of you for your support! Today, for Fiesta Friday, I am bringing another of my simple dishes: Vermicilli Pilaf!Everyone in my home from my little ones to my parents like vermicelli. I like it too .. Mainly for the ease of cooking. It is amazing how many things one can make with vermicelli! Vermicelli upma, vermicelli Payasam, vermicelli pulao. I like to refer to vermicelli cooked with vegetables as vermicelli pulao or pilaf. It is a perfect meal item be it breakfast, lunch or dinner. One could eat it just as easily for any of those meals!

Servings: 4-6


Ingredients:


Vermicelli: 8 oz or 125 gms
Water : 4 cups
Cooking oil: 1 tbsp
Onion: 1 small, chopped.
mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves: 1 sprig.
urad dal ( split matpe bean): 1 tsp ( optional)
Chana dal ( split chick peas): 1 tsp ( optional)
Peanut halves: 1 tbsp ( optional)
Mixed vegetables: 1 cup ( I used peas, carrots and green beans).
Green chillies: 2 small, slit
Haldi( turmeric powder): 1/2 tsp
Salt : to taste
Lemon juice: 1 tbsp ( from 1/2 lemon).
Cilantro :1 tbsp, chopped.


Method:


Boil water with a little salt in a saucepan.Turn off the gas.Add the vermicelli  to the hot water, cover and keep for 3-4 mins. Drain the water using a colander and keep the vermicelli aside.




Heat 1 tbsp oil in a sauté pan.Add mustard seeds. Once they spultter, add curry leaves, chana dal and urad dal , peanut halves and saute for 10 seconds. Add onions and sauté for a few seconds until the onions turn transparent. Now add green chillies and turmeric powder and sauté for 10 seconds.



Add the cooked mixed vegetables and mix well. Add little bit of salt.




Now add the drained vermicelli to this vegetable mixture. Mix and heat it until the vermicelli is warm. Squeeze lemon juice.


Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.



Serve hot.

Enjoy.

Cooking made easy:


Vermicelli should never be overcooked. Just soaking it in hot water for few minutes gets the job done. If you fear that it is overdone, run cold water on it to stop it from continuing to cook. You can also add a little oil and toss it to prevent it from sticking to each other.

Tip for healthy living:


Portion size can be quite successfully be controlled by using smaller plates while eating. Use a 8 inch plate instead of 10 inch plates and you will find yourself automatically eating less!

Food for thought:


I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. Confucius

No comments:

Post a Comment