Friday, December 19, 2014

Roasted Brussels Sprouts


Winter is synonymous with the oven for me. Like I have said before, I find even the flimsiest reasons to switch on the oven. Last night, while preparing dinner, I felt like making brownies and so I popped in a tray to make brownies. Coming back to the topic on hand, I love to use seasonal produce; not only is it light on my pocket, it is more fresher and therefore better for you. Brussels sprouts is a fall/ winter vegetable.


While most people do not like Brussels sprouts, we, in my home, love it! To me it looks and tastes like miniature cabbage. I cook it several different ways: I steam it, stir fry it, sauté it, put it in my salads. One of my favorite is to roast it. I love roasted Brussels sprouts. Not only is it easy to make and healthy, it makes for a great side-dish amidst all the rich food during the holiday season.



Servings: 4-6


Ingredients:


Brussels Sprouts: 1 medium stalk ( around 2-3 lbs)
Olive oil: 2 tbsp
Salt: to taste
Black pepper powder: freshly ground

Method:


Preheat the oven to 400 deg F.

Prepare a baking sheet/ tray. Grease it and keep aside.

Separate the Brussels sprout from the main stem. Remove any yellowed outer leaves.Wash, drain and dry the Brussels sprouts.



Slice the Brussels sprouts lengthwise into 2 pieces ( 2 if small, 3 slices if big).

Drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper and mix well.

Arrange it on the baking sheet, preferably in a single layer. Avoid overcrowding.

Bake for 20-30 mins or until golden brown, turning it over once in between.



Serve hot. Enjoy! I am bringing this to Fiesta Friday just in time for the holidays!



Cooking made easy:


Washing the baking trays and pans can be a tedious affair. This could be a breeze if you just line the tray/pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper and then grease it. When baking is done, just remove the foil/parchment paper and toss it in garbage. Now all you have to do is gently rinse the tray/pan with mild soap and water. No scrubbing/ brushing. Good for the pan; good for you!

Tip for healthy living:


Brussels sprouts is considered to be one of the superfoods. It is extremely nutrient dense being a rich source of vitamin C,Vitamin K, folate, potassium, manganese, phosphorous, omega-3 fatty acids and fiber.It is one of the foods that is known for it's anti-cancer benefits and cholesterol lowering ability. It is known to have a DNA-protective effect.

Food for thought:


There is nothing man will not attempt when great enterprises hold out the promise of great rewards. Livy



No comments:

Post a Comment