Friday, November 21, 2014

Thanksgiving Special: Easy Creamy Fruit Dessert



When one is invited to somebody's home, one must not go empty-handed. That's what my mother taught me.The other day, I was invited for a get-to-gether and I didn't have anything to take. As a rule, I don't like to take ready-made stuff. I like to put in a little effort and take something special. I was running around all-day and knew that I didn't have the time to make anything elaborate. Also, it had to be vegetarian and a dessert that could be easily transported. I didn't  know how many guests where going to be there or their tastes! I wanted to make something that would appeal to a majority of people.What could I possibly rustle  that would fit all the criteria? A fruit salad? Too boring. Custard with fruits?? Noo, it has eggs in it. I then remembered a dessert that my neighbor made for me once that everyone had liked. I quickly called her and double checked the recipe. I had most of the stuff on hand. I decided to give it a try. I used a combination of canned and fresh fruits. I made it, left it in the back of the fridge to set,before I left home to take my daughter to Ballet class. When I came home and was ready to go to the gathering, it had nicely set. The cold weather helped! It was a super-hit and the bowl was empty within 15-30 minutes of being placed on the table!!



This recipe has no name, so I came up with my own. If anyone knows the name for this or has suggestions, please feel free to let me know. :)

Angie, I am bringing this to your party! It's Fiesta Friday! I am sure the lovely BFF Stephanie @The Cozy Cook  and Tracy @Scratch It will also enjoy this lovely dessert.

Servings:12-15 people


Ingredients:


Condensed milk: One 14 oz can
Low fat Sour Cream: One 16 oz container ( use Greek yogurt/ hung curd for an even healthier option)
Mixed fruits: 1 can( the one that is reserved in it's own juice with no added sugar).
Oranges: 2
Kiwi: 2, peeled and cut into semicircular pieces.
Red Grapes: 1 cup, halved
Green grapes: 1 cup, halved
Strawberries: 8-10, halved
Blueberries: 20
Blackberries: 10

Method:


Peel the orange, the individual sections and cut the individual orange sections into bite size pieces. Keep aside.

Drain the can of fruits completely and keep aside.Make sure there is no fluid in it.

In a large bowl, using a whisk, mix together the condensed milk and sour cream.

Reserve a little fruits like orange and berries for garnishing. Add the  remaining fruits into the bowl. Mix gently.

Decorate the top of the bowl with reserved fruits.

Place the bowl in the fridge for 3-4 hours to set. It firms up like custard.

Serve cold.



Enjoy!

Cooking made easy:


I used the canned fruit because I was desperate! I neither had the variety of fruits I needed, nor the time to chop all of them. Had I had the fresh fruits on hand,and the time, I would have opted for the fresh ones.I try and avoid canned food as much as possible!

Any combination of fruits can be used.  The best to use are fruits like orange, pineapple, grapes, preaches and berries which do not discolor after some time. Be careful with the berries. If they are over-ripe, they tend to bleed color!

Tip for healthy living:


Try to include 3-4 servings a day of fruit in your diet. This ensures that you get an adequate supply of your daily dietary requirement of vitamins! The best and easiest way to do this is to snack on fruits and to eat fruits as desserts.

Food for thought:

The soul's joy lies in doing. Percy Bysshe Shelley


No comments:

Post a Comment